Service: Architecture, Interior Design, Full Engineering
Stages: RIBA C-L
Client: City Gdynia
Commissioned by the council of Gdynia this project consisted of the conversion of a former sea station into the "Museum of Emigration" through the extension, reconstruction and adaptation of the modernistic listed building.
One of the tasks was the reconstruction of the Building front to re-establish its original state of 1933. The measures to revive the artistic and historical values of the former sea station and the transit warehouse were the restoring of the façades and missing building volumes, the restoring of the entrance zone and the reinstating of the interiors in major parts of the building. Additional to the reconstruction of a missing corner, that was lost as a result of a bombing raid in second world war, we designed on the north side a three-storey high curtain wall to provide views on the seaside and the harbour to remind visitors on the historical purpose of the building. A cantilevering glass bridge at the exhibition lobby provides additional views and simulates the former bridges, which were leading the emigrants to their ships and to new destinations all around the globe.
The exhibition is accommodated inside the modernistic and slender concrete structure of the transit warehouse. It features structurally detached modules and an exhibition corridor along the seaside with view- and reflection points. Other newly built facilities in the main part of the sea station include a cinema- and conference space, a cafe, a restaurant, a bookstore and administration spaces which are gathered around the three storey high atrium space in the main building.
The "Museum of Emigration" creates a new venue for temporary and permanent exhibitions to honour the history of Polish emigrants and creates a new seaside location for cultural events.
Further information about the new institution and progress of the works can be found under: www.muzeumemigracji.pl